Wednesday 30 April 2014

How To Keep Your Upholstery Looking Good

By Becky Dietrich - Houzz Contributor

You wouldn't expect your car to maintain itself. Show your sofa and chairs the same courtesy with this 3-part strategy

 

“What do you mean I have to maintain my new sofa? I spent all this money on the thing and now it wants more of my time and attention?!”


I used to hear this all the time when I sold furniture for a living. As soon as I started to tell my clients how to care for their new upholstery, the rivers of resentment would flow. Let me share with you what I told them about why simple maintenance is not only necessary but worth the effort.
 
Do not remove the manufacturer’s tag that is adhered to the deck of your furniture. It provides the provenance of your piece. Even if you eventually reupholster it, make sure the tag is reattached.

Direct sunlight is the bitter enemy of your new upholstery fabric. Ultraviolet rays are just as destructive to your piece as small children with permanent markers.

Honestly, would you ever expect your shiny new car to maintain itself? Your new upholstery is just as needy.

No comments:

Post a Comment